Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Dichotomy of Music

I was enjoying the high school choir holiday concert on Sunday when one of the groups began to sing "This Little Light of Mine." My mind wandered back a few years to preschool concerts. I could see in my mind the children being herded to the front of the room by their teachers. I remembered how cute the children were as they sang their little hearts out. Their enthusiasm and smiles made it impossible not to grin from ear to ear.

Sunday was different. The music director had complete control. With just a wave of the hand or a knowing glance, the young adults made seamless transitions. Their faces beamed with pride. They sang with confidence and clarity as their voices rang through the auditorium. Their was a smile on my face, but it was difficult to hold back the tears in my eyes from the beauty of the music.

1 comment:

Marie Hatch Chambers said...

Nice post. Good observations.